|« Broccoli Stuffed Chicken||Twisted Maple Nut Bread »|
This was a unique dessert to make. It combines a cake with meringue and custard to create a great flavor and texture.
Yield: 10 servings
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 7 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp milk
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup almonds
- For the custard, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch,sour cream, and egg yolks together. Cook over very low heat until 160°F. Remove from heat.
- Add the butter, vanilla, and almond extracts and stir until combined. Pressed waxed paper onto the surface of the custard and refrigerate for several hours.
- For the cake, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg yolks, milk, applesauce, and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the cake batter and mix well.
- Line two 9-inch round cake pans with wax paper. Grease and flour the sides and bottom.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.
- For the meringue, whip the egg whites on high until peaks begin to form. Gradually add the sugar while continuing to whip. Spread the meringue over the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the almonds and cinnamon over the top of the meringue.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes, until the meringue is just starting to brown.
- Cool on a wire rack. Remove the cakes from the pans gently and cool completely.
- To assemble the cake, place one layer meringue-side up on a serving platter. Coat with the custard. Top with the second cake, meringue-side up. Store in the refrigerator.
No feedback yet
Form is loading...