|« Chipotle Pepper Bean Dip||Honey Walnut Pie »|
Bread bowls are awesome. They look cool, taste great, and fill you up like nobody's business. I made these with homemade potato soup, though you could do it with just about any thick soup or stew that you'd like.
Yield: 8 bread bowls
- 4 1/2 tsp yeast
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 7-7.5 cups flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Combine yeast with warm water. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt, oil, and four cups of flour. Mix well. Add enough remaining flour to form a dough and knead for 6-10 minuntes.
- Cover dough and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
- Divide dough into eight equal pieces. Form each into a ball.
- Grease two baking sheets and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place dough balls on the baking sheets.
- Let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Combine egg white with water. Brush the bread bowls with 1/2 of the mixture.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes. Remove and brush with remaining egg wash. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from over and cool completely on wire rack.
- Slice the top off of the bread bowls and hollow out the inside. Brush the inside with olive oil. Bake at 300°F for 10 minutes. Fill with warm soup and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- If you want to put cheese on top, sprinkle with cheese and then broil for 5-6 minutes.
- Serve hot.