|« Homemade Garlic Bread||Strawberry Freezer Jam »|
I made these for a company picnic recently. People thought they looked good, but the real surprise was when they bit in to find a caramel center. I made some with nuts and some without. The recipe is pretty straight-forward, so you can make modifications pretty easily.
The pictures are from a double-batch. The single-batch recipe below will make between 24-30 cupcakes.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (18 3/4 oz.), prepared
- 24 caramels
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- chocolate frosting
- Additional walnuts
- Prepare cake mix following directions on the box.
- Line two muffin sheets with paper liners.
- Put just enough batter in each cup to cover the bottom. (This is what I did wrong on my first few. Don't put too much or it'll rise to high and you won't have room for the filling and top half)
- Bake 350ºF for 7 minutes.
- Place a caramel on each cupcake and press down gently. (A whole caramel doesn't melt fully, as you can see in the picture. Next time I'll try cutting it in half and putting two separate halves)
- Add in 4-6 chocolate chips and a few walnuts.
- Cover with remaining batter, bringing it up 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350ºF for additional 15-18 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Top with chocolate frosting. Add nuts or sprinkles.