|« Caramelized Chicken||Sunflower Cupcakes »|
Chocolate Chip Banana Cream Pie
A tasty cookie crust lines the bottom of this custard & fruit filled pie. A bit more difficult to make than a traditional pie, but well worth the effort.
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 tube (16.5 oz.) refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 1/3 cups milk
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp vanilla, divided
- 2 medium bananas
- 1/2 pint whipping cream
- 3 tbbsp confectioners' sugar
- Let the cookie dough stand on the counter to warm for 5-10 minutes. Press into the sides and bottom of a 9" pie plate. Bake at 375°F for 10-11 minutes until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- The dough will melt down towards the bottom of the pan a bit while cooking. While cooling, I used a large metal spoon to push some back towards the sides.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in the milk until smooth.
- Cook over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat and cook two minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of the hot filling into the yolks. Return t0 the pan, stirring constantly until mixed. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir two minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and 1 tsp vanilla.
- Spoon 1 cup of filling into the pie crust. Slice the bananas and line them onto the filling. Cover with the remaining filling. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours until completely set.
- For the whipped cream, beat the cream on high speed until it begins to thicken. Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Cover the pie with the whipped cream. Refrigerate until set, about 1-2 hours.
Adapted from Taste of Home.
No feedback yet
Form is loading...