|« Molasses White Bread||Breaded Fish »|
I love banana bread. This time, I had some extra goodies in my cupboard that are leftover from past baking adventures, so they got thrown into the mix. The results were pretty good.
Yield: 2 large loaves
- 2.5 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 6 tbsp warm water
- 2 tbsp milled flax seed
- 2 eggs
- 7 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup diced walnuts
- Additional chips and walnuts, if desired
- Cream together the sugar and butter.
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water and flax seed. Whip on high speed, like you would egg whites until thoroughly mixed. Add to the sugar mixture.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa, mini chocolate chips, and diced walnuts. Mix just until moistened. Do not overmix!
- Grease and flour the bottoms only of two 9-inch bread pans. Divide the batter evenly between both pans.
- If desired, sprinkle additional chocolate chips and walnuts on top of the batter.
- Bake at 325°F for 85-90 minute, until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.