|« Wheat Bread||Twice Baked Potatoes »|
I really like Chinese food, so it seemed like a good idea to cook up some at home. This recipe will make some really tasty General Tso's chicken. It comes out a little salty, so if you don't like your Chinese very salty then scale back the soy sauce and add in some extra sugar & vinegar instead.
I recommend a side of white rice and stir-fried vegetables. Alternatively, you could have a side of fried rice.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 lb chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 dried red chili peppers
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp rice wine
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Combine eggs and cornstarch. Mix well. Add chicken and coat well.
- For sauce, combine vinegar, wine, sugar, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Fill your wok or deep fryer with oil. Fry chicken pieces in batches and then pat dry on paper towels. (You don't want to do too much chicken at once or else it'll lower the oil temperature and they'll get soggy)
- Drain oil from wok. Add a small amount of fresh oil and red chili peppers and stir fry for a few seconds. Add chicken back in and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sauce to wok. Cook stirring often until it thickens up. Serve hot with green onions as garnish.