|« Pumpkin Pie||Tomato Basil Mac and Cheese »|
Twinkies are good. Homemade twinkies with chocolate and caramel are even better.
Yield: 20 cakes
- Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Topping (optional)
- 2 lbs. dark chocolate
- Coarse sea salt
- 16 caramels
- 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Beat the eggs on high speed for 4 minutes. Add the sugar and vanilla and stir just until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add to the egg mixture while beating, just until combined.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk and butter. Heat until the butter is melted. Add to the batter, just until combined.
- Grease and flour your Twinkie mold. Pour the batter into each mold. This is probably 1/4 cup fulls, depending on your mold. (They'll rise a fair amount while baking)
- Bake at 300°F for approximately 21-23 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the filling, place the whipping cream and powdered sugar in a bowl. Whip on high speed until stiff peaks form. Pipe into the center of the cakes.
- If desired, melt dark chocolate and dip each cake into the chocolate. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt while it's still wet. Melt caramel & cream and pipe over the chocolate.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Adapted from Cake Boss.
No feedback yet
Form is loading...