|« Lemon-Sage Chicken||Bean Dip »|
Nanaimo bars are one of Canada's contributions to baking. There's some controversy about the origin and the original recipe. Nonetheless, you can try this tasty version. I flavored it with spearmint, but you could use any flavor you like or have plain filling.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped spearmint leaves, if desired
- Green food coloring, if desired
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 3 tbsp butter
- Melt the butter, sugar, and cocoa powder in a saucepan over low heat. Add the egg and stir to cook & thicken.
- Add the coconut, almonds, and cracker crumbs. Mix well. Press evenly into the bottom of a 9x9 inch pan. (Silicone is helpful for later when you have to get it out)
- For the filling, place all ingredients in a bowl and cream together. Spread evenly over the crust.
- For the topping, melt the chocolate & butter over low heat, being careful to not burn the chocolate. Remove from heat and let stand until cooled to almost room temperature. Spread evenly over the filling.
- Refrigerate the bars until everything is set. Remove and cut into 1"-square pieces.
No feedback yet
Form is loading...