|« Broccoli Mushroom Salad||Chicken Pillows »|
This cake looks great, tastes better, and is surprisingly light.
Yield: 10 Servings
- 1 package (18.25 oz.) white cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- Raspberry Gelatin
- 6 oz. fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 package raspberry Jello
- Blueberry Gelatin
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 package blue Jello
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 14 blue Jolly Rancher candies
- 14 red Jolly Rancher candies
- In a large bowl, combine all of the cake ingredients. Mix until smooth. Pour into two greased & floured 9" round pans. Bake at 325°F for 25-30 minutes. Cool completely.
- For raspberry gelatin, combine the fruit, water, and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 minutes. Pour through a strainer and collect the syrup, discarding the pulp. Mix in the gelatin mix and let sit until luke warm.
- Repeat step #2 for blueberry gelatin.
- Using a wooden sweker, poke holes into the tops of the cakes. Pour the raspberry gelatin over one and the blueberry gelatin over the other. Put in the fridge until set, about two hours.
- Whip the cream until it begins to thicken. Add the confectioners' sugar and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the raspberry cake from the pan and place on a cardboard round. Cover the top with 1 cup whipped cream. Place the blueberry cake on top and frost top and sides with remaining whipped cream. Store in refrigerator.
- For the stars, grease a star-shaped cookie cutter and a microwave safe bowl with cooking spray, wiping off the excess. Place 8 blue candies into the bowl and microwave until melted, 20-40 seconds. Place the cookie cutter on a silicone mat and pour the candy into the mold. When it has begun to set, use the flat end of a wooden sweker to remove from the mold and then push into the center. Put the remaining candy into the microwave bowl and repeat again for a second blue star.
- Repeat step #7 for the red candies.
- Place each wooden sweker into a straw and poke into the cake. Serve.
Adapted from Taste of Home.