|« Clementine Cupcakes||Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies »|
Nothing fits better on a cold day than a warm bowl of soup. And it tastes much better if you make it yourself from scratch.
Yield: 6 servings
- 15 large tomatoes (about 5 lbs)
- 1/4 cup + oil
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Seed and quarter the tomatoes. Toss with the oil and place in a greased baking dish. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes. Let cool for about five minutes until you can handle them, and then remove and discard the skins. Save the oil.
- In a large pot, saute the garlic and chopped onion in 2 tbsp oil from the roasted tomatoes.
- Add the tomatoes, water, salt, and red pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree in a food processor in batches until smooth. Return to the pot.
- Stir in the cream and heat through. Serve hot.
It's surprising how little tomato you end up with after the deseeding and roasting (first time I'm doing either of these /w tomatoes).