|« Strawberry Heart Cake||Crock Pot Breakfast »|
Russian Black Bread
This loaf has an unusual flavor owing to the caraway and fennel. It's super tasty when toasted and slathered with butter.
Yield: 1 double-size loaf. About 24 servings.
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp dark corn syrup
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Additional flour (1/2 - 1 1/2 cups)
- Mix together the first thirteen ingredients. Mix in the butter.
- Knead in additional flour until it forms a dough. Knead for 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm please to rise until doubled, about one hour.
- Punch the dough to deflate and turn a few times on a lightly floured surface. Form into a large round ball and let sit in a warm area to rise until doubled, about one hour.
- Warm the over to 400°F. Bake the bread for 25-30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- If using a baking stone, warm the stone in the oven without the bread first. Then transfer the bread onto the hot stone. You can do this with either a bread peel or by letting the dough rise on a sheet of parchment paper and then using the paper to slide it onto the stone.
Adapted from All Recipes.
No feedback yet
Form is loading...