|« Chocolate Polka Dot Cheesecake||Jack Daniel's Brownies »|
Savory pies aren't too common in American cuisine, which is a shame because they can be so tasty. This pie combines all the tastiest flavors: pork, cheese, and egg.
Yield: Two 9" pies, approximately 20 servings
- 2 lbs. sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 10 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 lb. mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Pastry for double crust, times two
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
- Cook sausage, onion, and spices in a large skillet. Drain off excess fat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and egg white.
- In a separate bowl, combine the drained spinach, mozzarella, ricotta, and garlic powder. Stir into the egg mixture.
- Stir the sausage into the egg mixture.
- Line each of your pie plates with a pastry shell. Fill with the meat mixture and top each with the second pastry. Seal and crimp the edges.
- Beat together the egg yok and water. Brush over the pie crusts. Cut slits in the top.
- Bake at 375°F for 50-55 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Painless Cooking.
No feedback yet
Form is loading...