|« Apple & Carrot Bundt Cake||Onion & Cheese Bread »|
Bread is awesome. No meal is complete with bread of some form, and these rolls have some flavorful spicing that will smell great while they're baking.
Yield: 24 rolls
- 4 1/2 - 5 cups flour, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp wheat gluten
- 1 tsp milled flax seed
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp chopped sliced almonds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt, wheat gluten, and flax seed. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, combine the milk, water, and butter. Heat on low until the butter is melted. Do not exceed 120°F.
- Pour into the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the eggs and mix until combined. Add enough remaining flour to form a dough and knead for 6 minutes. Place in a greased dish and let rise in a warm place until doubled, 45-60 minutes.
- Punch down the dough. Divide into 24 pieces. Roll each into a 12"-14" rope and tie into a loose knot. With the two ends, tuck one over the top into the middle of the knot, and the other under the bottom. Place in a greased baking dish.
- If you aren't feeling adventurous then you can just roll them into balls and they'll still taste just as good.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- For the topping, brush the rolls with the egg. Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle over the rolls. Bake at 375ºF for 12-17 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.