|« Braised Bear Steaks||Cookie Dough Brownies »|
This is a northern African dish. You could eat this for breakfast or dinner, whatever suits you.
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1 can (15 oz) golden hominy, drained
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 eggs
- Crumbled feta cheese
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and salt. Sautee until they are clear, about 10 minutes.
- Add the two peppers and the hominy. Cook until the peppers begin to soften.
- Add the spices and mix for 1 minute.
- Add the crushed tomoatoes and water. Simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes. Add more water if it's evaporating too quickly.
- Using a tablespoon, make 5 indentations into the shakshuka. Crack 5 eggs into the skillet, one per indentation.
- Cover and simmer until the eggs are cooked to your desired doneness, approximately, 5-10 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl. Top with feta cheese and a side of toast.
Adapted from Food Wishes.
Gwen thinks the shakshuka is off-the-hooka!
No feedback yet
Form is loading...